Sunday, August 11, 2013

 2:40 AM      No comments

By Beau-Steven
Blessed with good looks, Uche
Iwuanyanwu is one of the rising
actresses in Nollywood you
cannot help but admire for her
professional exploits. In this
interview, she talks about her
blossoming career, and why
she prefers to star in Ghanaian
movies and many more…
You are becoming more
beautiful, and your shape is
something else these
days.What's the secret?
I try to stay in shape these
days because I am more
mature now than before. I am
careful about my diet. And I
have always said that if you
have got it, you should go head
to flaunt it.
In recent times, you have been
plying your trade in Ghana.
What's so special about
Ghana?
I don't have a stake in Ghana.
But it's just that I have been
getting movie roles from
Ghanaian producers in recent
times.
Are you implying that
Nollywood producers are not
recognising with your talent?
I'm not saying that Nigerian
producers are not reckoning
with my acting prowess.But it's
just that I have not been
steady in the industry because
of my education. Until last
year, I was still a student at
University of Jos. A producer
cannot afford to wait patiently
for you when you are out of
reach.That's what affected me.
But in the case of Ghanaian
producers, they know when to
get in touch with me, mostly
when I'm on break. However, I
am finally back in Nollywood,
having graduated from the
university. I am ready to
mingle in the industry now than
before.But that does not mean
I cannot star in Ghanaian
movies when I'm invited to do
so.
Uche
Let's talk about sexual
harassment in Nollywood. What
is your own story?
I am a very pretty girl and it's
not as if I'm praising myself.
You know when you are
beautiful, certain things are
bound to happen. So, I will be
lying if I deny the fact that men
don't admire my beauty. Yes,
they do, and almost
ceaselessly. But I think the
most important thing is for one
to remain focused on your
goals. If you are good in what
you are doing, a producer will
definitely find it difficult not to
give you a role in his new
movie simply because you
refused to sleep with him.
Would you say your beauty has
affected the way you relate to
other people?
My beauty cannot affect the
way I relate to other people. I
am not the only beautiful girl in
town. I am just the girl next
door. No doubt, being beautifu
has its own advantages. But it
doesn't mean that men should
pay your bills. Despite your
beauty, you should be able to
work very hard to avoid
depending on men for
everything you need as a
woman.
What's your latest projects?
I just concluded the production
of a movie in Ghana titled,
'Cheaters'. I acted alongside
Jackie Appiah, a USA based
actress, Okawa Shazney and
Elikem Kurmodzie, who
represented Ghana in the
ongoing Big Brother Africa
reality TV show. The movie
premiered yesterday in Ghana
at Silverbird Cinemas and is
due to hit Nigerian cinemas
today. It is about the game of
cheating that is peculiar with
married couple. I played the
role of a married woman in the
movie.
Did you undergo any type of
training to acquire acting skills?
Acting is inborn in me,but I
tried as much as possible to
sharpen my talent by acquiring
more knowledge in acting. I
have a Diploma in Mass
Communication before I later
pursued a degree program in
Economics. During my Diploma
program, I did some courses in
Theatre Arts. I have always
wanted to become an actress.
Recently, we have observed
that rising actresses always
land in big deals whenever we
feature them in our celebrity
pages!
Well, I am not aware of it. But it
is possible for that to happen. I
am not here to castigate
anyone. It's a free world. If
they decide to help themselves
that way while waiting for the
big break in acting, then it is
their own cup of tea. But I
won't date a guy simply
because he has money to
throw around.
What is your idea of sex?
Is sex not supposed to be
between a man and a woman
when they are married? I am
not married; hence I am not
supposed to discuss sex other
than what I have just said. You
can ask me this question when
I'm married
Uche
Aren't you in a relationship?
I am in a relationship and I love
my man. But it's my private
life. I don't want to talk about it
here. I will speak passionately
about it when I am married.
How do you cope with the roles
you play in Ghanian movies?
Well, you have to understand
what acting is about first.
Acting is doing something that
is not you; you are improvising
a character that is not ours. If
I'm casted to play the role of a
prostitute; then it's my duty to
make you believe I am one. At
this point, I am acting. I will
transform into a prostitute just
to interprete my role.
Does this not affect your
emotion, especially when you
are acting alongside someone
you admire a lot?
It cannot affect you emotionally
because there are many
people on set. Perhaps, you
may have crush on that
person, but it's left for you to
decide on what to about it. For
me, when I am acting, my
emotion is put to check.
But would you date an actor?
Of course, it is a free world, l
could date someone l have
acted alongside with if I am
attracted to the person. But I
won't because I don't want to
combine business with
pleasure. Besides, I'm already
in a relationship. l don't have
what it takes to handle two
men. When I was invited to star
in a movie in Ghana; I met John
Dumelo on set and I really liked
him.
I acted as his girlfriend; we
kissed and did other things, but
it ended right there on set. It is
a person's perception; it has to
do with your upbringing. This is
a normal thing in every
industry. It doesn't just happen
in the movie world alone.
Bankers are dating bankers
while students are dating their
fellow students. These are the
people you work with and meet
every day of your life. So, if
you
do not know how to separate
your work life from your
private life, you will end up
dating a guy in your office. But
as far as I'm concerned, I do
not think I will like to date
someone in the industry no
matter how much he is
attracted to me. I have my own
man and even though he isn't
an actor, he loves what I'm
doing for a living.
In the movie, 'Cheaters,' I
cheated my husband by having
an intense affair with another
guy.While it lasted, it ended as
soon as we finished shooting
the movie. After the
production, we walked away
because all we did was acting. I
am not saying the guy I played
alongside with is my enemy.
But what we did ended with the
production.
Uche
How far can you go in
interpreting a role?
As far as I can go to interpret
that role. Like I said earlier, if I
have to interpret a role in the
bedroom, instead of wearing a
bra and a pant, I would prefer
to wear a bum-short and a bra-
top or better still, wear a two-
piece swimming suit and
interpret the role in a
swimming pool. That's acting.
And if the bum-short doesn't
interpret the role well enough,
the director diverse a means to
make up.
What has been your most
challenging movie and why
was it challenging?
My most challenging movie is
titled 'Somewhere in Africa'.
The movie was like the
'Sarafina' movie in South Africa
and I played a sensitive role in
the movie. It tells a gripping
story of Yusuf Mumbasa (Majid
Michel) who, after escaping an
assassination attempt by the
King of Kimbala, managed to
capture power via a coup
d'état and ordered for the
killing of all previous
government appointees.
I played the role of a leader
who led some students to see
the president following the
injustice that pervaded the
land. It was challenging for me
because I couldn't see myself
going to the extreme to re-
enact what happened in real
life. I interpreted my role in the
movie very well that I was
nominated for an award. The
movie was shot in Ghana and it
starred other actors such as
David Dontoh, Kofi Adjorlolo,
Amornabea Dodoo, Eddie
Nartey, Roslyn Ngissah, Martha
Ankomah, Eddie Watson, Helen
Asante, Gloria Sarfo and Eve
Asare.
These days ladies are doing
everything to look sexy?
I thank God that Iam who I am.
But if I wasn't born this way, I
wouldn't have been happy with
myself. And if it means going
under the knife to get it, so be
it. I am not going to castigate
the women who do it because
life would be very boring if you
do not have what it takes it to
'flaunt it.' No one would take
notice of you.
How come you were not
nominated for our sexiest in
Nollywood project?
I wasn't in the country and
more so, I lost my Black Berry.
I guess my friends tried my
GSM lines but couldn't reach
me.
How did your parents react
when you veered into acting?
My parents love it and they are
supporting me. Perhaps, I
wouldn't have been here today
if they didn't support me.
If you have the money, would
you go under the knife to
enhance what God has given to
you?
I won't go under the knife
because I am beautiful. But if I
was not born this way, perhaps
l would have given it a trial.
Can you date a guy who
promises to buy you an
expensive car?
I cannot date a guy for his
money no matter what. Except
I love him

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BSBlog Poll

ads

ad Placement

click the benner

Help Promote Just click

Team BSBlog

...

Popular Posts

Unordered List

Ads Space

Powered by Blogger.